Getting started on your weight loss journey.
Before you can undergo weight loss surgery, your surgeon must determine whether or not you’re a good candidate. Each person’s candidacy is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Depending on your physical health and other factors you may qualify for surgery even if some of these criteria are not met. You may be a candidate if you:
- Are between 18 and 75 years old. For patients over 75, candidacy will be determined by your surgeon.
- Are 100 pounds or more above your ideal weight and/or have a BMI of at least 35 and are diagnosed with at least one or more serious obesity-related conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, or sleep apnea. If you don’t know your BMI, you can determine this number using our BMI Calculator.
- Have a BMI over 40 with or without significant health problems.
- Have no severe medical, psychological or emotional conditions that would render surgery too risky.
- Have no dependence on drugs or alcohol, or have been sober for at least a year.
- Have tried and failed at previous efforts to lose weight.
- Understand the seriousness of the surgery and the necessity for a lifelong commitment to a healthier diet and lifestyle.
“I enjoyed attending your Bariatric Support Group on Wednesday night. I learned so much from the speaker, as well as from other patients that were in attendance. It is nice being able to have this extended support system.“
“I am so happy that your program added Facebook and a website. I have enjoyed getting new recipes and diet tips to assist in my weight loss journey.“
“I purchased the fruit drinks and protein bars from your Nutricenter and they are delicious! So happy I can use these to get my daily intake of protein after surgery. “